Parents can read a personal letter from the Founder of Newport Academy, Jamison Monroe and find out why our program might be a great fit for your troubled teen.continue reading
Newport Academy is the nation’s leader in providing teen treatment for anxiety, depression, eating disorders, substance abuse, self-harm and co-occurring disorders. We have the most comprehensive program available to families. Below are some key points which distinguish Newport Academy from other adolescent and teen mental health treatment programs. If you read nothing else on our site, read the following:
Newport Academy Features
What Your Teen will Benefit from while enrolled in Our Program
- At Newport Academy our goal is sustainable healing. We strongly believe that the self-destructive behaviors in which teens are participating are external manifestations, or symptoms, of underlying, internal issues. We heal the underlying issues.
- The maladaptive coping mechanisms for which we see teens enter treatment include self-harm, substance abuse, eating disorders, emotional regulation issues, conduct disorders, and other forms of self-destructive behaviors
- We see the most positive, long-term results by focusing on healing the underlying, causal issues that are causing teens to act out- primarily various forms of trauma, abandonment, low self-esteem, anxiety, depression, abuse, neglect, and other family systems issues
- Newport Academy has completely separate programs for girls and boys
- We only accept a maximum of 6 adolescents into two of our programs and a max of 10 teens in our other programs
- We have separate programs for 12 to 17 year olds and programs for 15 to 20 year olds
- We maintain a staff to resident ratio of greater than 3.5 to 1
- Newport Academy provides each resident with a minimum of 10 hours of individual therapy and counseling each week
- A minimum of 2 hours of family therapy per week (some weeks families are involved up to a total of 16 hours)
- 12 hours of group therapy each week
- 12 hours of experiential therapy every week
- Newport Academy has gender-specific residential treatment programs for females and males. The males and females never mix while in treatment. Gender-specific treatment is recognized by the American Medical Association as a key element of effective adolescent treatment.
- Newport Academy has one of the most highly qualified and experienced staff in adolescent mental health, anxiety, depression, eating disorder, substance abuse, self-harm and co-occurring disorder treatment. Meet our staff here.
- Newport Academy has a small student-to-teacher ratio (1 credentialed teachers for 6 students).
- Newport Academy has an Intensive Family Program. Families are involved in a comprehensive family program every week, and near the end of treatment families participate in our Intensive Family Program (IFP) on campus at Newport Academy. Only one family at a time participates in an IFP and it is customized for each family. Read more about our Intensive Family Program here.
- Newport Academy has on-site horses and facilities for Equine Assisted Psychotherapy. Recognized by many treatment experts as a significant therapeutic process with teens, Newport Academy is the one of the only treatment centers with horses and Equine Therapists on-site.
- Newport Academy has “the most beautiful treatment facility in the industry that provides an environment of compassion and caring” (Treatment Magazine, 2009). Between both the male and female facilities, Newport Academy sits on over 70 collective acres of serene, equestrian property located just miles from major metropolitan areas. See our facilities here.
- Newport Academy has been recognized as one most comprehensive, integrated, and individualized treatment programs for adolescents and their families by a number of leading adolescent and teen mental health treatment experts.
- Newport Academy introduces Young Person’s 12-Step programming in order to provide an option for finding like-minded peer group for continuing care post treatment.
- Newport Academy has an on-site gym with new, state-of-the-art equipment. The American Medical Association states that a regular exercise program is a key element of effective teen mental health treatment.
For more detailed information on what differentiates Newport Academy from other adolescent treatment providers, please read through our website or contact us at any time to speak directly with a caring staff member or request a brochure.
Meet the treatment professionals and supporting staff here at Newport Academy. Get an overview on who they are and how they can play a role in your teen’s recovery process.continue reading
Find out what is at the core of our addiction treatment program and what we believe in most about helping your child overcome his or her substance abuse issue.continue reading
Our treatment philosophy involves an initial assessment, care management, planning and goal setting as well as an array of therapies. Learn how it works.continue reading
Looking for testimonials from friends and family members of teens who have attended our program?continue reading
Enrolling your teen into an addiction treatment center can seem overwhelming but we are here to answer all the questions you have about the program, admissions or facilities.continue reading
Directed to the parents of troubled teens, this section helps explain how your teen can benefit from entering our program.continue reading
Find a calendar of events and speaking engagements where you will have the opportunity to meet the Newport Academy treatment leadership staff in person.continue reading
Read personal stories by some of the teens who have successfully completed our program to get an understanding about who attends Newport Academy.continue reading
If you are looking for supporting materials on the expertise of our treatment professionals, find a list of news and media content on or by our staff.continue reading