New York is one of the most highly populated states in the country. Therefore, the flow of drugs in and out of the state is heavy. As a result, drug addiction is an ongoing issue for family and lawmakers alike.
Teen Rehab in NY
Every year, the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) measures the opinions, activities, and other characteristics of drug and alcohol abuse in every state, including New York.
The most recent numbers available report that New York has among the highest rates of
As a result, tens of thousands of families across New York must help their loved one overcome drug or alcohol dependence. It’s not easy, but there are options for comprehensive care, even for the youngest members of the family.
Decreased Options for Drug Rehab in New York
SAMHSA also reports that the number of drug rehab programs available to those addicted to drugs and alcohol in New York has declined in recent years. Between 2002 and 2006, the number of rehab centers dedicated to addiction treatment dropped from 1,260 to 1,030 across the state.
With fewer options to choose from, many New York residents head out of state in order to get the treatment they need for their children.
Families across the state who are searching for effective treatment for their teenager struggling with all the issues related to drug and alcohol abuse, including
- Co-occurring mental health issues like eating disorders, depression, anxiety, and more
- Behavioral disorders, including ADHD
- Learning disabilities
- Legal problems
- Issues at home
What Can New York Families Do?
Faced with a dearth of resources when it comes to comprehensive teen addiction treatment, many families in New York are looking outside the state to find the best possible program for their teen. The benefits of opting for a new locale with comprehensive resources designed specifically to meet the needs of a developing teenagers are many, including
- Physical distance from negative influence
- Physical distance from at-home stressors
- A new, positive healing environment
- Introduction to new philosophies through meeting people from around the world
- Permission to focus on nothing but health and healing
Flying across the country to undergo treatment will often help a teen focus on their treatment physically and emotionally. Just knowing that they are far from home can also help them to avoid thoughts of dropping out, running away, or attempting to contact friends who will bring them drugs or alcohol. Though they may ultimately return home to again address the stressors and temptations there, they will be newly equipped with coping skills that will help them to make positive choices going forward.
What Can You Expect from a Teen Rehab NY?
The short answer:
Everything your child needs to stop using drugs or alcohol and successfully address all the issues that may be driving their drug abuse.
The long answer:
- Diagnostic services. Many mental health disorders do not begin to manifest until the teen years. Intensive evaluation services at the start of treatment can help to identify the needs of the patient and help the staff create a unique treatment plan that addresses specific needs.
- Detox assistance. With drug addiction, physical withdrawal symptoms may be an issue. A teen rehab program is equipped to aid the process of detoxification and stabilization.
- Focused therapeutic intervention. A wide range of therapeutic interventions have been proven to be effective in the treatment of substance abuse in teens. These include Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, group therapy, personal therapy, outdoor and adventure therapy, and animal-assisted therapy, to name a few.
- Holistic treatment. A well-rounded treatment program provides healing for mind, body, and spirit.
- Ongoing academic support. Individualized treatment plans are designed in cooperation with your child’s teacher to help ensure that your teen gets back on track academically despite time lost to drug use.
- Family therapy. The family is the support system for a teen struggling with drugs and alcohol, and family relationships are primary in their lives. Therefore, addressing any breakdowns in communication and trust that have come up during substance abuse is crucial. And teens benefit when their family members play an active role in their recovery.
- Aftercare support. It’s easier to commit to abstinence while in a sober environment that is supervised 24 hours a day, where the principles of recovery are emphasized daily. However, it’s far more difficult to stay sober after drug rehab. Therefore, any comprehensive teen rehab will provide referrals, continued therapeutic support, and assistance for patients after they return home, as needed.
What Are the Drugs Most Commonly Abused by New Yorkers?
The New York State Health Department (NYHD) collected data across the state regarding drug abuse in New York. They found the following data.
- Cocaine was the most often cited drug of abuse among patients admitted to the ER for drug-related issues.
- About 55,000 ER visits across the state were the direct result of drug use. And cocaine use was responsible for about half of these.
- Between 2004 and 2007, the number of ER visits caused by the use of marijuana more than doubled.
- In that same time period, the number of ER visits caused by abuse of benzodiazepines, a class of prescription medication, increased by 68 percent.
- The number of ER admissions caused by the use of opiate painkillers also increased significantly—from 68 visits per every 100,000 New Yorkers in 2004 to 94 ER visits per every 100,000 New Yorkers in 2007.
- One in 10 hospitalizations in New York results from drug use.
Don’t Wait to Intervene
Overdose deaths in New York State reached a record high in 2014, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Furthermore, opioid overdose is now the leading cause of accidental death in New York City, surpassing even motor vehicle accidents.
Moreover, 8 percent of high school students in New York State have used cocaine. Furthermore, 16 percent of high school students report binge-drinking behavior, according to the US Department of Health and Human Services. Teen rehab NY is an important topic.
How does this impact teens? Studies show that the earlier a person abuses substances, the more likely it is that they will develop an addiction. Those who abuse drugs recreationally are most likely to fall victim to unintentional overdose deaths.
Help kids find treatment for drug and alcohol abuse, so they can get their lives back on track.