CONSULTING PHYSICIAN AND EATING DISORDER SPECIALIST
Rachel Fortune, MD, FAAP
Rachel Fortune, MD, is an expert in the treatment of eating disorders, menstrual irregularities, and mental health disorders, as well as Adolescent Medicine.
After completion of her fellowship at the Children’s Hospital Colorado in Denver, Colorado, Dr. Fortune spent two years caring for adolescent patients at Yale University School of Medicine/Yale New Haven Hospital. In fact, 90 percent of patients in her subspecialty practice were being treated for eating disorders. Specifically, anorexia nervosa and bulimia nervosa.
Especially so, in her many years of treating teens with eating disorders, Dr. Fortune has learned that most eating-disordered adolescent patients recover best with a family-based treatment approach. After all, even the most attentive parents can miss the outward signs of mental health and clinical problems in their teens. Thus, leading to further complications over time. As a result, specialized treatment is essential.
Newport Academy…in her own words
“Despite how difficult and stressful this work can be, it is incredibly gratifying to see how a young person’s life transforms. Above all, I love to see the light come back into the eyes of teens as the healing process begins to take effect.” –Rachel Fortune
- Board-certified in Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine by the American Board of Pediatrics
- Sub-specialty in treating patients for eating disorders at Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven Hospital, New Haven, Connecticut
- Fellowship at Children’s Hospital Colorado, Denver, Colorado
- Residency and Internship in Pediatrics at Nationwide Children’s Hospital, Columbus, Ohio
- MD from Wake Forest University School of Medicine, Winston-Salem, North Carolina
- Undergraduate degree from Bryn Mawr College, Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania