Heather Hagen, MA, LMFT
Heather Hagen specializes in family therapy and addiction, and has worked extensively with teenagers facing behavioral issues, substance abuse, depression, anxiety, and eating disorders. With more than 15 years of experience in the treatment field, Heather holds a master’s degree in Psychology/Marriage and Family Therapy, as well as two bachelor’s degrees, in family studies and social work.
Heather has been with Newport Academy since its founding in 2008, advancing from Care Coordinator to Family Therapist and now Clinical Director for our programs in Marin County, California. She is passionate about working with adolescents and empowering them to become strong, independent young adults. Heather is also an accomplished photographer.
My Five Fundamental Beliefs
1. I believe that family therapy is at the core of our program, and that healing the family is the key to supporting teen and young adult mental health.
2. The family of origin is fundamental in how we learn to love, support, and communicate with others.
3. We can either repeat the examples that were given to us, or we can find other solutions that work better for us.
4. Being authentic and genuine is critical for healing.
5. Learning how to forgive others is important, but learning how to forgive ourselves is essential. It’s truly a gift to ourselves, because putting down the weight of resentment and anger frees our energy so we can live life more fully.
Newport Academy…in her own words
“On a daily basis, I get to see teens, young adults, and families experience change and develop new strengths. I will forever be grateful for the work I have been privileged to do and the healing that I have been witness to.” — Heather Hagen
- Master’s degree in Marriage and Family Therapy from Chapman University, Orange, California
- Undergraduate degrees in Family Studies from Brigham Young University, Provo, Utah, and in social work from the University of Nevada, Las Vegas
- Equine Therapy Training
- Training in Attachment-Based Family Therapy and Motivational Interviewing