Laguna Beach has all the beauty and serenity of a seaside resort. But this city by the Pacific Ocean also has problems with substance abuse, like many other towns in the US. First of all, it is wise to look at the statistics revealing what is happening in the area.
According to statistics from the Laguna Beach Independent, drug and alcohol use is on the rise in California schools:
- 48 percent of 12th graders reported having one or more drinks in the past month
- 26 percent of 10th graders admitted to drinking at least once
- 24 percent of 12th graders reported using marijuana in the last 30 days
- 15 percent of 10th graders reported using marijuana within that time period.
Along with marijuana and alcohol, Orange County teens experiment with drugs. Heroin, LSD, and prescription meds are common. Some parents overlook these experiments as normal teen behavior. Yet for families whose lives have been destroyed by substance abuse, it is far from normal. If a teenager in your life is struggling with substances, learn about the options for teen rehab. Don’t go it alone.
Why Do Teens Go to Rehab?
Substance use disorder is one of the common reasons that teens go to rehab. But many families seek treatment for adolescents with eating disorders or behavioral disorders. They also seek treatment for co-occurring mental health conditions. In the Laguna area, teens struggle with anorexia nervosa, bulimia, depression, anxiety, and social conduct disorder. As a result, there are many treatment options in the area. There is a clear need for treatment. Most noteworthy, as the need increases, so does the need for quality care.
Features of Teen Rehab
There are a lot of important reasons why a highly-rated professional program is the best choice:
- Adolescent rehab programs provide structure and supervision
- Teen rehab centers are staffed by clinical professionals. These individuals understand the unique psychosocial needs of adolescents and their families.
- Rehabilitation centers provide a full range of services. This includes detox, nutrition, family counseling, and other resources for teens.
- Residential treatment provides a safe, gender-specific environment. This allows teens to concentrate on recovery without distraction.
In conclusion, it is crucial to do your research. Make phone calls. Ask questions! Most of all, be sure you’re making an informed decision.
What Parents Need to Know About Teen Rehab
Most parents hope that they’ll never need a rehab facility for their teen. According to the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Administration (SAMHSA), teen drug use is a growing concern. In 2009, close to 1.5 million American teens between the ages of 15 and 17 displayed signs and symptoms of addiction. Furthermore, abusing drugs and alcohol during the teen years can interfere with brain development. In addition, it can also increase the risk of accidental injury, mental health struggles, or suicide. Consequently, it is critical to take steps right away, as soon as you see a problem.
The Importance of Treatment
Rehab may be one of the most important things you can do to ensure a healthy future. Hence it is wise to research all the options available.
Teen rehab programs in Orange County communities give troubled teens the structure and stability they need. There are also publicly funded programs. These include the College Community Services, the County of Orange HCA Behavioral Health Services, and the Community Services Program (CSP). These organizations offer affordable or free counseling services to teens and their families.
When you’re looking for the right adolescent rehab program, consider these factors:
- Is the facility licensed by the California Department of Alcohol and Drug Programs (ADP)?
- Are separate facilities offered for boys and girls?
- Does the program encourage family involvement?
- Are detoxification services offered?
- Does the rehab offer treatment for dual diagnoses like depression, anxiety or bipolar disorder?
- Does the plan include a supportive aftercare program?
Support for Families
Families seeking private treatment for an adolescent should consider a comprehensive recovery program. It is especially relevant to ensure a program covers all of your needs.
Newport Academy provides a comfortable, secure environment for teens and their loved ones. Call us to learn more about our treatment options, so you can start getting your lives back on track today. Most of all, even if Newport Academy is not the perfect fit, we will help you find what is.