DIRECTOR OF EXPERIENTIAL LEARNING
Tim Walsh is a mental health professional, outdoor educator, certified recovery coach trainer, and recovery expert. He has more than 20 years of experience leading programs for young adults, adolescents, and families. Particularly, Tim has spent decades cultivating his expertise in program development. He is a thought leader in adventure-based counseling and recovery. However, his main areas of expertise include youth mentoring, outdoor leadership, prevention, and recovery coaching.
He is cofounder and director of Adventure Recovery, an outdoor education and mentoring group. As one of the founding members, Tim spent five years as Executive Director of Mountainside Treatment Center in Canaan, Connecticut. At Mountainside, he created the center’s adventure-based counseling program. Also, prior to this, Tim spent 10 years at the Mountain Workshop, an outdoor leadership school, as Program and Staff Development Director. In addition, he is a consultant and former youth director for the New Canaan Congregational Church youth programs since 1998.
Tim develops and facilitates awareness programs for private schools, youth development agencies, and national conferences. Hence, his unique model of engagement draws young people in. As a result, Tim generates a dynamic, solutions-based conversation on mental health and substance use awareness.
Newport Academy…in his own words
“There’s a lot of isolation in mental illness and substance use. As a result, teens become introverted and closed off to themselves and others. Therefore, there is a sense of hopelessness, fear, and anxiety born from this disconnection. At Newport Academy, teens are given the opportunity to be of service to themselves, each other, and the greater community. Most noteworthy, we teach them to connect with the self. We provide the tools necessary to cultivate and maintain this connection. Thus, this is incredibly powerful work.” —Tim Walsh
- Presenter for Yale Divinity School
- Speaker at Recovery 2.0 Conference
- Instructor for High-Five Adventure Symposium
- Presenter at Kripalu Center for Yoga & Health and Wanderlust Festivals
- Facilitator, leading awareness programs at Salisbury School and Hotchkiss School in addition to high schools and colleges throughout the United States
- Expert Certification for Wilderness First Response
- Advanced Certification Recovery Coaching and Coach Training
- Advanced Certification whitewater boating