IOP Program Director
Federico Escobedo, LMFT, LPCC
Federico Escobedo has been working with at-risk adolescents and their families for more than seven years. Hence, he is passionate about the path of recovery, having experienced it himself at a young age. Before joining the Newport Academy team in 2014, Federico—who is fluent in Spanish—worked with Casa de la Familia in Santa Ana, California. In addition, he provided therapeutic services in a bilingual clinic serving primarily minority and underserved clients. Also, past positions include personal service coordinator for Providence Community Services’ Project RENEW, in Costa Mesa, California, using a strengths-based recovery model with children, adolescents, and families.
Federico’s biggest influences have been Jon Kabat-Zinn, Terrence Gorski, Irvin Yalom, and Abraham Maslow. Consequently, their influence permeates all aspects of his work—including his theoretical conceptualization; the connections between psychology, spirituality, and recovery; and the ways in which we make meaning in our lives. In the Outpatient Programs, each adolescent is provided with an individualized treatment plan established by our Treatment Team. And this plan is based on developing skills, personal meaning, and self-regulation. Hence, this allows teens to foster mindful self-awareness. Therefore, the opportunity to examine habits and behaviors allows clients to observe and encourage their personal growth. As a result, the integrated model facilitates healthier relationships, direct communication, and personal responsibility.
Newport Academy…in his own words
“I believe wholeheartedly in the integrative and holistic treatment Newport Academy provides. And I know firsthand that it works. I got sober at a young age with the help of a treatment center that offered a very similar approach. Newport Academy exemplifies what teamwork and recovery are all about.” —Federico Escobedo
- Master’s degree in Clinical Psychology with an emphasis on Marriage and Family Therapy, from Pepperdine University Graduate School of Education and Psychology, Malibu, California
- Undergraduate degree in psychology from Alliant International University, San Diego, California
- Marriage and Family Therapist
- Professional Clinical Counselor
- Member, California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists and California Association of Licensed Professional Clinical Counselors
- Certified in CPR, First Aid, Mental Health First Aid, and ProACT